Dec 14, 2010

star makeover

i admit it.
i am a total sucker for post-holiday clearance sales.
my heart really starts beating fast when i see the 
70% and 80% off signs go up.
last year, i scored this star at target for 80% off.
(so, it cost around $2.60)
our tree has been without a star for several years, 
and i have been on the hunt  for one.
i loved the size and shape of this one, 
but i wasn't in the market for a white + brightly covered star.
 i knew that with a little bit of paint and glitter,
it could be transformed into something better
suited for my holiday decor.
 first, i spray painted the star gold,
and then sprayed the entire thing with spray adhesive.
(yay for super 77!)
 i sprinkled martha stewart gold glitter on the star,
and then covered the little balls with some gold leaf.
(both left over from other projects.
the spray adhesive was fantastic for making
both of these stick!)
 the finished star.
my kids love it.
now our tree finally has a star!
i'll give you a better peek at our tree later in the week.
it's nothing special, 
so don't hold your breath.

11 comments:

  1. It's very cool! I'd say a definite improvement over the original. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is going to be a very special tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I glittered up our plain old star this year and I totally think it's the way to go. I love your attention to detail- covering the little balls with gold leaf. I've never used it before, but I imagine using it to do something so small was a pain, so way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some glitter! Our tree is actually too tall for a star on top, so I tied a really large glittered star ornament I found at Hobby Lobby near the top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much much better!!!! Amazing what paint and glitter can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I love the gold leaf on the balls it gives demension to the star. And all at 80% off - the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Yours is so much better than the original. I am also a huge sucker for those sales. I stalk the stores and wait for 90% off. When I see the sign, I go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice find! Love your star make over! I got a little glitter crazy with my star this year as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I need to start seeing things in different spray painted colors!
    How did you get the star so darn straight? I can never do that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! I'm learning so much from these blogs about DIY! I always seem to want something that isn't in the stores and now I see I can do it myself! Beautiful star!

    ReplyDelete